The Old Deputy Commissioner’s Bungalow, built by the British, between 1946 and 1949 was handed over to the Department of Art & Culture in 2006 and converted into the state’s ‘Heritage building’.
‘The Heritage’ was inaugurated and opened to the public by the then Chief Minister, Shri. Neiphiu Rio on 27th November, 2007. Since then, the Department has leased out the management of ‘The Heritage’ to private individuals.
The main objective of Nagaland State Archives is collection and preservation of the State’s Historical Records. Since its humble beginning with the view to preserve the records, the staffs of Archives Branch has collected more than 20,000 records consisting of Official Documents, Rare Books, Microfilms, Maps, Photographs, Private Papers, Newspaper Clippings etc. The records are collected from within and outside the State from different creating agencies. As the custodian of the historical heritage of the state, the State Archives assist and renders our services to Research Scholars, Historians, Administrators, Students, Individuals and creating agencies who intent to see historical documents of the Naga people.